DAS / RF Engineer
About the job:
Motor City Electric Technologies is the Technology and Low Voltage division of Motor City Electric Co. and we are looking for a Distributed Antenna System (DAS)/Radio Frequency (RF) Engineer to lead DAS design and/or technical implementation along with other network projects. This individual should have experience in DAS and public safety design, commissioning and testing within commercial and industrial markets.
The qualified candidate will be responsible for DAS and Small Cell pre-deployment, deployment and post-deployment activities by performing site walks, RF surveys, benchmarking, data collection, integration, commissioning, acceptance testing, optimization, troubleshooting and repair of DAS and Small Cell sites and hardware systems. In addition, they will also provide on-site technical support and act as a liaison between customers, carriers and internal functions such as Project Management, Project Coordination, Solution Engineering, Design Engineering and Sales. The qualified candidate will be a versatile, self-motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently as well as in a team environment and manage multiple projects at the same time.
Qualifications & Experience:
- 3-7 years of DAS/RF engineering experience specific to the job responsibilities
- BSEE or Technical Degree (preferred but not required)
- Experience with DAS commissioning, optimization, and troubleshooting
- Strong working knowledge of various wireless technologies, (CDMA, EVDO, GSM, W-CDMA, LTE and Wi-Fi)
- Advanced working understanding of RF propagation and RF test equipment (e.g. Spectrum Analyzer, JDSU, Anritsu, Solutellia, etc.)
- Advanced working knowledge of structured cabling (e.g. CATx, fiber optics, etc.)
- Advanced knowledge of First Responder DAS systems
- Strong ability to read and interpret technical and architectural drawings and RF designs
- Experience with iBwave software (certification is a plus)
- Proficient in basic electronic and RF theory, and antenna types and uses
- Excellent computer skills, including high level of proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including Visio
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent time management and self-organization skills
- Ability to communicate information and ideas clearly and concisely, in writing and verbally
- Ability to investigate and solve complex problems
- Ability to effectively conduct technical presentations to customers at all levels.
- Knowledge and experience with typical public safety (VHF/UHF/700/800/900) and cellular frequency bands/carriers with an understanding of LTE and other technologies that will be deployed.
- Certification/experience on one or more manufacturer’s products such as Corning, Commscope, Teko/JMA, SOLiD, ADRF, Motorola, Hytera, etc.
- Experience with Link Budgets for multiple technologies/frequencies, calculating noise figures, and calculating intermodulation products
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Typical Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Provide on-site technical expertise during integration, commissioning, testing and optimizing of distributed antenna systems (DAS) and small cells
- Serve as the key technical subject-matter expert for complex in-building solutions for customers
- Be the liaison between Project Managers and the customer on technical matters
- Respond to technical inquiries and make technical recommendations as appropriate
- Work with the customer’s technical subject-matter experts, carriers, sub-contractors, solution engineers, design engineers and field technicians to deploy and operationalize distributed antenna systems (DAS) and/or small cells
- Lead and perform pre- and post-deployment survey activities for new DAS and small cell deployments utilizing specialized software and tools
- Lead and perform pre- and post-deployment RF data collection and analysis efforts to help define and improve coverage requirements
- Lead and perform integration and commissioning during system deployments and field trials.
- Work with stakeholders to identify and correct system issues that surface during deployment and acceptance testing by making technical recommendations to optimize and correct deficiencies.
- Document installations in accordance with internal and external standards and requirements, including hardware and software changes made in the field
- Review customer deliverables, identify risks and plans to mitigate risks
- Develop, review and/or approve closeout packages
- Perform pre-deployment data collection, benchmarking and continuous wave (CW) testing
- Turn-up and test DAS and Small Cell systems in accordance with customer and equipment manufacturer’s specifications
- Support and/or perform integration and commissioning of equipment during deployments in accordance with system design and customer / carrier requirements
- Perform post-deployment data collection and acceptance testing to ensure requirements were met for coverage and capacity
- Troubleshoot and repair DAS and Small Cell systems as required
- Prepare and submit required project documentation
- Provide product and service development input
- Present technical solutions to customers
- Assist with providing estimations of hours and effort required to complete assigned tasks or scope projects
- Travel to customer and strategic partner sites on a frequent basis (<20% travel out of Southeast Michigan)
- Conduct pre-install and pre-construction surveys for DAS / Small Cell projects
- Develop and maintain positive customer relationships that achieve optimal profitability.
- Provide support to sales, project coordinators, and project managers on pricing models for individual projects.
- Support training initiatives on the general installation, troubleshooting, and commissioning procedures
- Build strategic working relationships with subcontractors / Technical Partners to accomplish goals and objectives
Relocation Not Available: Local Candidates Only